Every year we talk about our New Year resolutions and every year we start out with great expectations on how we are going to fulfill them. Sometimes it’s just too much pressure because everybody is making their own resolutions so you feel like you have to as well. It can be anything from exercising more, starting that diet and sticking to it, finishing that book you’ve been writing or putting your resume together and finding a new job.
We always have good intentions but somewhere along the line we fizzle out and don’t accomplish what we hoped we would. Instead of making all of these “promises” to yourself to start off the New Year how about letting the New Year kick off and really think about what is important to you to achieve. After all, January 1 is just another date on the calendar.
Stand out from the crowd and put off making those actual resolutions for a few weeks. You may just have a better understanding on how to achieve your goals and end up having the best year yet. Here are a few tips that may help you along the way:
1) Hold Yourself Accountable- Stay Focused. Make a list each night of what you want to accomplish the next day. Short term goals are easiest to fulfill. Even if it’s taking 30 minutes out of your day to work on a project that you’ve been putting off. It’s better than doing absolutely nothing.
2) Be Open Minded- Try something different if something is not working for you. It’s ok to make changes from the way you’ve been doing things. As the old saying goes, Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting something different to happen.
3) Network- Always find the time to communicate with others. Exchange ideas and let people know what you are working on and trying to achieve. Always be listening. You never know who you are talking to and where you may find your next “aha” moment.
4) Stop Procrastinating-There’s always excuses to be made as to why you haven’t “gotten around” to doing something. For me, it’s more about not knowing how to go about it. Or, I find that something is just too hard to tackle and I put it off for another time. This is a big reason that holds you back from getting what you want and achieving a particular goal. As the Nike ad says...”Just do it”
5) Have Fun-Make time for yourself and please......don’t forget to laugh. Show off that beautiful smile! Don’t take everything so seriously. Be sure to take a step back and be in the moment.
6) Be Confident- These are YOUR goals for a terrific year ahead. If anybody can achieve them you can. Stay the course, have fun and enjoy the ride. It’s going to be a great year.